Statement from London Labour leaders:
“The situation unfolding in Afghanistan is shocking and distressing.
“As London Labour Leaders we are calling on the government to accelerate efforts to provide humanitarian assistance to the many thousands of men, women and children who have been displaced. The UK government must provide safe and legal routes for Afghan refugees fleeing dangerous and chaotic circumstances triggered by the withdrawal of international military support from Afghanistan and advancing Taliban forces.
“London is a city that has a long and proud history of offering sanctuary to those in need. We have concerns for the safety of Afghan women and girls and the long-term impact on children exposed to fear, violence and uncertainty.
“Afghan locally employed staff who have worked for British military forces and the British embassy have already started arriving with their families through the Afghan Relocation and Assistance Policy, and a number of London boroughs have already committed to welcoming and supporting them.
“The humanitarian catastrophe is immense with over 3.5 million Afghan displaced people and it is likely to continue escalating. We urgently call on the government to implement a national refugee resettlement programme with target numbers from Afghanistan with proper support and funding to aid delivery, so that local authorities can plan effectively and provide sanctuary.
“We will work closely with London’s Afghan community and with our voluntary sector and national government partners to ensure Afghan refugees get the support they need to recover from the trauma they have lived through and start to rebuild their lives.”
- Cllr. Darren Rodwell Leader of the London Borough of Barking & Dagenham
- Cllr. Muhammed Butt Leader of theLondon Borough of Brent
- Cllr. Georgia Gould Leader of the London Borough of Camden
- Cllr. Hamida Ali Leader of the London Borough of Croydon
- Cllr. Peter Mason Leader of the London Borough of Ealing
- Cllr. Nesil Caliskan Leader of the London Borough of Enfield
- Cllr. Danny Thorpe Leader of the Royal Borough of Greenwich
- Mayor Philip Glanville Mayor of the London Borough of Hackney
- Cllr. Stephen Cowan Leader of the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham
- Cllr. Peray Ahmet Leader of the London Borough of Haringey
- Cllr. Graham Henson Leader of the London Borough of Harrow
- Cllr. Steve Curran Leader of the London Borough of Hounslow
- Cllr. Kaya Comer-Schwartz Leader of the London Borough of Islington
- Cllr. Claire Holland Leader of the London Borough of Lambeth
- Mayor Damien Egan Mayor of the London Borough of Lewisham
- Cllr. Mark Allison Leader of the London Borough of Merton
- Mayor Rokhsana Fiaz Mayor of the London Borough of Newham
- Cllr. Jas Athwal Leaderof the London Borough of Redbridge
- Cllr. Kieron Williams Leader of the London Borough of Southwark
- Mayor John Biggs Mayor of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets
- Cllr. Grace Williams Leader elect of the London Borough Waltham Forest